In Ukraine green shav borscht with is not cooked in small portions. As a rule it is meant for the whole family for several days. Neither is it cooked with spinach. But what to do if schavel is not available in some countries? Here comes the idea of this wonderful green borscht with spinach. The peculiarity of this green soup variation is spinach which gives it amber color and sour taste loved by so many people.
You will need:
- 5 l of water or chicken broth;
- 3 big beetroots;
- 6-8 potatoes;
- 1 big onion;
- 1 big sweet pepper;
- 2 tbsp. thick tomato sauce;
- 5 boiled eggs;
- salt, pepper, bay leaves, garlic;
- 400 g fresh spinach;
- ½ lemon (to one’s wish);
- vegetable oil.
If you want green borscht with meat prepare broth using any kind of meat. It may be chicken, duck, pork or beef. If you are a vegetarian or just want a light version just use water instead. Broth is prepared in a regular way.
How to make
Rinse all vegetables and greens properly.
Let water/broth boil.
Peel and slash beets. Saute with oil. Put in boiling water/broth.
Peel potatoes and chop in pieces as you like. Add to beets.
Dice onions, sweet peppers and saute the same way as beets. When they start getting brown add tomato paste, pepper, salt, bay leaves, garlic and lemon juice. Stew for 5 min. Add to the pan with future borscht.
Cooking time for all vegetables is nearly the same. So you can put them all together and cook for 15-20 min.
Peel boiled eggs. You may cut or mash them if you prefer thick soup.
Shred spinach leaves and pour into the saucepan. The dish is almost ready.
Let borscht draw for some time and it is ready to serve.
Borscht with spinach may be eaten not only hot but also cold. It depends on your preferences. It tastes better with sour cream and freshly cut greens.
Another variation of green soup with spinach is cream soup. Just blend all ingredients and get a nice-colored masterpiece.
- Lemon juice will not only give sour taste but also save green color of this summer borscht.
- Use spinach and spring onions together with shavel (if you are lucky to find it) – shred them and add in the end. Such combination of greens will give borscht special taste. Spinach will take away extra sourness and soup will taste milder.
- Green borscht may be served both hot and cold. That’s why it is considered summer dish and will help to cool down on a hot day.
- Traditional taste of green soup cannot be changed with other ingredients. However, it is possible to make it more dietary. You may substitute potatoes with celery or cucumbers. Use unrefined oil while cooking.
- There is one more interesting tip – instead of adding spinach in borscht you may blend it with sour cream and add it before serving. It will go well with cold borscht as spinach will save most of its healthy properties.
One can make up his own secrets which will make the borscht unique. Don’t be afraid of experiments and enjoy your meal!