Breakfast in Ukraine is traditionally substantial and it can include porridge (sometimes with milk), meat dishes, pancakes with different fillings, and sometimes soup. By the way, there is an opinion among foreigners that Ukrainians begin their morning with a glass of vodka and a piece of salo and rye bread. But of course, it is rather a joke or a myth.
So, what do Ukrainians prefer for breakfast and how do they cook it? Here are few ideas for morning meals with recipes – for those, who want to try something new.
Halusky with cottage cheese
Ingredients: 3 cups of farmer cheese, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp of sugar, a pinch of salt, 2 cups of flour, 3 tbsp of butter.
- Pass cheese through a sieve (it will make halusky more tender), add eggs, melted butter, sugar and salt to the cheese and whisk all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the flour into the curds and whisk it again. The dough should be soft. Divide the dough into several parts, form “sausages” and cut them into small pieces.
- Cook galushki in boiling, slightly salted water.
- Put dumplings on a plate with the help of slotted spoon and pour the dish with melted butter or with sour cream. If you add less sugar to the dough – then dumplings can be served with meat sauce.
Eggs baked in buns
Another great idea for breakfast, which can become a lunch – it depends on what kind of filling you choose.
Ingredients: buns, eggs (1 bun will need 1 egg), butter, tomatoes, cheese, sausages, greens, salt and pepper.
- Take your favorite small buns, cut off the top, remove the soft part of bread, and fill with melted butter.
- Add tomatoes, chopped sausages, cheese and greens. Then pour the egg inside, add salt and pepper.
- Place buns to the preheated oven to 180 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes.
Feel free to experiment with this recipe, you can add chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper or garlic. It entirely depends on your taste.
Semolina with chicken broth
Do you hate sweet semolina (wheat cream) since childhood? Don’t give up on this dish, you can make a nutritious and delicious breakfast.
Ingredients: 2 tbsp of semolina, 1 cup of chicken broth, 100-200 gram of boiled chicken breast, 2 tbsp of butter, pinch of salt and pepper, greens.
- Pour the chicken broth into the saucepan. Chop boiled chicken breast and put it into the broth and bring it to a boil.
- While stirring, slowly pour semolina and cook for 2 minutes, continue stirring, so that there are no lumps. Cook for 5-7 more minutes on low heat.
- Add greens and butter. That’s all, help yourself!
Potato syrniki (cottage cheese pancakes), as well as classic ones, are easy to cook for breakfast. But, unlike classic sweet syrniki, they are well combined with various spices and piquant sauces.
Ingredients: 1 big potato, 2 tbsp of flour, a cup of farmer cheese, an egg, sour cream, greens, butter and salt.
- Stir farmer cheese with precooked (boiled), peeled and mashed potato. Add the egg, flour, salt and mix all ingredients well. Don’t forget to add chopped greens.
- Form small cakes and fry in melted butter on both sides until a crispy crust is formed. Serve potato syrniki with sour cream and greens or hot tomato sauce.
Pumpkin oatmeal is very simple to prepare and very healthy. It is usually included in nutrition program for those who are on diet, and for children as well. It is a perfect choice for the breakfast.
Ingredients: 3 tbsp of oat flakes, 1/3 cup of water, 1/3 cup of milk, 100 gram of pumpkin, small apple, walnuts, 1 tsp of butter, 2 tbsp of honey.
- Pour the milk and water into a saucepan, bring to a boil. Add finely chopped pumpkin, cook a couple of minutes.
- Add the oat flakes, stir thoroughly and boil for 10-15 minutes. Continue stirring.
- Mix the porridge with a blender until smooth.
- Put the finely chopped apple and walnuts in the porridge, add melted butter and mix thoroughly. Serve with honey.
Feel free to improvise, surprise and bring joy to yourself and your loved ones with these simple dishes.