Many of ancient wedding traditions came up to modern times. It goes not only about baking wedding bread or braid untwisting. Nowadays Ukrainian brides often choose traditional gowns not only to show their appreciation for national traditions but because this kind of style gives wide scope for variations.
Traditional wedding dress in Ukraine
An embroidered dress is one of the most important attributes of Ukrainian wedding as national clothes reflect cultural features. In the old times bride’s outfit (dress or vyshyvanka) was richly decorated, colorful and bright. It was made of special cloth embroidered with different patterns and ornaments. The gown was supplemented with a wide red belt or satin ribbon and boots. Instead of a veil brides wore a wreath of flowers on their head.
Traditionally modesty was in each bride’s blood. There were no women wearing revealing or low-necked dresses. A Christian wedding dress had to be simple and as high-necked as possible. Even now if a couple decides their marriage ceremony to be held in a church it is inadmissible to uncover oneself in such place.
Ornaments on wedding dresses made in Ukraine had special meaning. It was believed that embroidery was able to program future family on long and happy life. It still hasn’t lost its symbolic sense:
- Red poppies were associated with youth and beauty. They also showed connection between generations.
- White lilies proved bride’s innocence.
- Grape bunches and leaves wished for giving birth.
- Periwinkle on a corset symbolized readiness for marriage.
- Oak leaves stood for spirit strength.
Materials and colors
In ancient times main material for wedding gowns was linen. Women decorated laps, collars and sleeves with bright ornaments. Bright-colored beads and wreaths were essential attributes. National colors varied in different parts of the country but red, blue, black and orange remained main ones.
According to popular belief yellow color may program newlyweds for happy and wealthy family life. Red implied love, passion and endless energy. Green was able to prolong youth and blue could calm violent passions down. White symbolized light and purity.
Modern wedding dress designers and manufacturers
Thematic weddings in Ukraine have become very popular since brides started choosing outfits with ethnic features. It all started about 5 years ago. In 2013 in Kamenets-Podolski brides parade prize-winning places were given to participants wearing bridal dresses of Ukrainian style. Since then ethnic wedding gowns have become special appeal and separate style of wedding fashion in Ukraine.
Modern designers and dress makers successfully combine national elements with modern ones. It may be a dress of natural linen which nowadays looks very light. Colors vary from traditional white to yellow, apricot and beige. Bodice and skirt are embroidered in bright red flowers completed with smaller blue and yellow ones. Embroidery can be made with threads, beads or even satin ribbons. A traditional veil is often substituted by a wreath or flowers of the same color and texture as a bridal dress itself. Red boots complete the image.
Such famous brands as Miss Kelly, Mori Lee, Allure Bridals, Pronovias, Benjamin Roberts offer dream wedding gowns for brides all over the world. But it doesn’t mean that there are no decent dress makers and brands in Ukraine. The main characters of Ukrainian bridal fashion are:
- Oksana Mukha. Bridal dresses by Oksana Mukha are noted for charming feminine silhouettes which are worn to one’s shape. “Galvestmoda” is now a world famous trademark which has won trust in France, Germany, Belgium and USA.
- “Maxima” became one of leading manufacturers in Ukrainian fashion industry. It offers both genuine national dresses and stunning ultrafashionable models for adventurous brides.
- Natalia Tauscher is a bright and charismatic personality. Dresses created by her team are extraordinary, elegant and sexy.
- Stella Shakhovskaya fashion house. Ukrainian celebrities prefer dresses by this designer. Combination of eternal classics and modern tendencies make these dresses particularly appealing for brides. Luxurious materials, perfect cut, discreet splendor and high-level handicraft are distinguishing features of this manufacturer.
- TM Slanovskiy appeared in Chernovtsy but has already won respect all over Ukraine. Unique styles, jewel embroidery, lace trimming and bright images have made this trademark successful.
Nowadays wedding fashion in Ukraine is so diversified that it can satisfy even the fussiest brides. It goes not only about dresses. Small details such as bolero, wedding crown or wreath of flowers on a bride’s head are able to plaster over the cracks and emphasize perfections.
Interesting offers from Ukrainian designers
Modern wedding dress designers of Ukraine constantly treat brides with something interesting, fashionable and original. For instance:
- V-neckline together with other trends produce unforgettable impression.
- dress length varies from mini to floor-length, might be with tail.
- Ukrainian designers use satin actively. It allows them to create both fairy-tale characters and fashion-mongers.
- Thanks to lace designers have obtained perfect combination of luxury and restraint. Dresses with lacy sleeves are bright examples.
- Color range of wedding dresses used by modern Ukrainian manufacturers are very unique: dusty rose, peach, pearl-blue, lilac, ice-coffee are among them.