Borscht is a tasty Ukrainian beet soup. Ukrainians are proud of this legendary dish and like to eat it, because it is healthy and nutrient. There are numerous recipes of this traditional soup, some of them suppose using meat for the broth, or they can be vegetarian or vegan.
The main ingredients for all recipes will be the same – earthy beet, carrots, tomatoes and cabbage. Borscht can be also cooked with or without potatoes. Light beet borscht can be a perfect dish for the vegetarian dinner. It can be served hot or cold, depending on the recipe.
If you don’t have a lot of dinner ideas, use the best recipe of vegetarian borscht to cook delicious dish. It can be prepared on the cooker or in the slow cooker. By the way,
vegetarian borscht has only about 22 calories per 100 g!
Best meatless borscht recipe
- 1 medium beet, peeled, grated or cut into matchsticks;
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or cut into matchsticks;
- 2 medium onions, diced;
- 1 tomato, diced;
- ¾ cabbage, thinly cut;
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil;
- 2 L vegetable broth or water;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 garlic cloves;
- salt to taste;
- black pepper;
- chopped dill and parsley.
How to cook
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the pinch of salt on the large pot. Add peeled and diced onions, carrots and beets grated or cut into matchsticks. Add 1 diced tomato and stir the vegetables. After cooking them for 10 minutes, reduce the heat and cover the pot. Simmer vegetables for 20 minutes more.
Prepare the vegetable broth or boil 2 L of water. Add vegetables and thinly cut cabbage. Add salt to taste and boil the soup for ten minutes.
Add bay leaves, 2 garlic cloves and black pepper. After removing vegetarian borscht from the heat, add chopped dill and parsley.
Simple vegetarian borscht is ready to be served. Add sour cream to individual bowls and enjoy one of the best Ukrainian dishes.
Such vegetarian borscht can be served hot in winter or cold in summer, it will help to warm up when it’s cold outside and it will help to cool down, when it is hot outside.
How to store and serve vegetarian borscht:
- Borscht will be even tastier the next day after cooking. It has to be kept in the refrigerator and will stay fresh for up to one week.
- Vegetarian borscht can be served not only with sour cream, but with vegetarian mayonnaise.
- It is possible to add various herbs, not only parsley and dill. Choose the best flavor combination to your taste.
- It is possible to make vegetarian borscht more nutrient by adding mushrooms, potatoes or eggs.
- To make the taste of the beet soup sourer, add juice of ½ lemon .